Tuesday, April 12, 2011

What can you see in the Louvre in 2 hours?



People often say it would take you a couple of weeks to see everything in the Louvre properly. And that's probably true. But should you get to Paris and only have five days, and you have weather that seems sacrelig to waste by being indoors, you might just want to enforce a mandatory cap on time. That's what we did. And we gave ourselves two hours to check out what we could check out. 


While Cameron and I perused at a leisurely pace, I feel like we really got to see a lot. So the answer to the question of all you can see in two hours is this: the ancient Greek statues, all the French painters--  all of it, everything there-- you know I had to see me some La Tour. The Dutch & Flanders wings (I like those Dutch), the Napoleon apartments, a misguided tour through the Egypt objects room in search of the Iranian art, the Italian wing (including the super crowded, rather underwhelming Mona Lisa and the much more impressive in person Botticellis) and finally the Spanish painters-- my fave. Yay for Goya! I was glad I got to see a Velazquez in person. L'Infante Marie Marguerite is no Las Meninas, but hey, I'll take it. At least they share some personnel, right? 


At first, I wasn't sure how important it was for me to go to the Louvre. Especially after the Paris tourist bureau never delivered my pre-paid Museum Pass. But in the end, I'm glad I did. And it only took two hours.


Napoleon Apartments. 
There seemed to be a blank spot just asking for another bearded man.
Velazquez
Winged Victory- Emily's Fave




She seemed to have really modern body language for an ancient.


1 comment:

  1. I had a yearly membership when I lived there, and would go to the Louvre every Sunday, and I still didn't see everything! It has so many nooks and crannies, that you thought you saw, but didn't !
    I love the more manageable Orsay, I hope you got to go there :)

    ReplyDelete

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...