Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Old Technology, New Tricks



One might say I'm a bit of an anomaly when it comes to eras. I'm nostalgia-filled and old school on a whole lot of topics, but you'd have to pry my iphone out of my cold, dead hand. I love the feel of typewriter keys, but I get anxiety attacks just thinking about trying to compose a lengthy document without backspace, cut, copy or paste. Nevertheless, a serious part of me could seriously see myself (at least upstairs) on Downton Abbey. Luckily, I know I'm not alone in this contradictory attitude about old and new.


Here's part two of my Anthro Catalogue shopping: iphone/ipad victrolas and USB rigged typewriters connected to your ipad or computer monitor. It's simultaneously so faux and so genius I am filled with both extreme consumeristic guilt and tech nerd/writer geek glee. Just glee. Now, if only I had a spare 2000 pounds sterling (According to the UK catalogue) or dollars for both.


Okay, but my guilt is tempered by a couple of cool things. 1. You could probably do them yourself. At least, the USB  typewriter. In fact, there are even some tutorials online. 2. I think it's pretty nifty (and green!) that the iVictrolas are acoustic and don't require any electricity at all. They just make the crappy little speakers on your iphone work. They're also one of a kind and no two are the same. That's craftsmanship, my friends! I suppose I'm a sucker for a good repurposing.


For other spots about the iVictrola, you can check out here. Or read thisthis. Props to you, Matthew Richmond. San Fran really does have a high concentration of cool people. 
For USB typewriters, check out this & this. The amazing Royal is already sold out at Anthro in the US, but Philadephia designer, Jack Zylkin is the man who runs this site so it's no dead end. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Stop Now?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...